Tuesday, March 3, 2015

March 3, Ensenada Grande, Isla Espiritu Santo

Today was a short hop from Isla San Francisco south to Ensenada Grande on Isla Espiritu Santo.  A short 21 miles which took me just about 4 hours. When I woke up this morning it was raining again and rained for about the first 3 hours of my sail today. What's up with that?  ha. And calling it a sail is definitely a stretch.  It was dead calm so I motored until about the last hour then I threw out the Reacher in about 8 knots of wind and motor sailed on into the anchorage.  Fishing report...skunked again!  I must have not gotten the memo that all the fish life in the Sea of Cortez are on an indefinite fast!  Seriously though...how long can you troll lines before you at least come across that really stupid or really hungry fish?
Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida

The anchorage is...I know you have heard this before...amazingly beautiful.  There are several little inlet coves surrounded by striated, sandstone cliffs with a small patch of white sand at the end.  I wish I could send a pic or two.  I went for a trail run, more like a rock climb/scramble, up to the top to the hill/mountain and looking down on the anchorage with the turquoise waters over the white sand bottom was crazy beautiful.  Then I took the dinghy out for a spin and an exploratory dive to see if I could locate an area that might have a few "bugs" (lobsters) down in the crevasses that I might exploit tonight. lol.  I definitely found a few prospective sites and I will check it out after dark.  I will let you know in tomorrow's email if I was successful or if the lobsters are on the same plan as the fish.

When I came back to the boat, btw, I'm anchored here all by myself, there was a gaggle of kayakers paddling into the cove.  Guess I won't be alone tonight. haha.  I hope they are all tired from paddling all day and they don't stay up all night partying. There are about a dozen of them.  I think that wraps up the report for today.  I am eating lentil soup and have a batch of Kahlua browines in the oven...I thought I would take some over to my new cove-mates the kayakers.  I am not sure if I am going to move on tomorrow or stay put a day or so.  We are supposed to get a norther blow through over the next couple days.  I will see how that goes and how strong it is.

Oh, btw, if there is anyone that doesn't really want to get this email, almost daily, then let me know and I will take you off the list.


Later,
Bret
SV Liahona

No comments:

Post a Comment