Thursday, April 9, 2015

April 9, Isla Venado, Mazatlan

This morning we got up around 7:30am, checked into the Sonrisa net on the ham radio then started in on some chores.  The first item of business was to defrost the freezer.  I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that the fridge and freezer were drawing more amps per day than what it usually does or what I think it should. After thinking through the problem my feeble brain came up with the thought that frost in the freezer might be the culprit as frost actually insulates the cooling plates. So the thermostat hits the set temperature where it tells the unit to kick on and because the cooling plate is frozen it is trying to put out cold into the box to satisfy the thermostat but it can't because it is somewhat insulated due to all of the frost buildup.  Ok...that was probably a little detailed. haha.  Long story short, we defrosted the freezer/fridge, cleaned it and turned it back on. Viola!  Things are working as they should and pulling a reasonable amount of power to do the job. The captain is happy. lol

While the freezer was defrosting we jumped on a local bus and went into old downtown Mazatlan for a stoll through the park, the Cathedral Basilica de la Inmaculada Concepcion and then back to the Mercado Municipal for a few more items.  The cathedral, which was completed in 1890, was amazingly beautiful.  The architecture with the amazing concrete work, spires, stained glass, statues of saints and ornate ceilings is something to behold.  After a stroll through there and a quick stop in the confessional to shed some extra weight of sin I have been packing around, lol, we were off to the Mercado Municipal.  We went to a ceramic shop and bought some cabinet pulls for the boat, took a bunch of pictures and then grabbed a fresh cut of rib eye steak that Luis personally marinated with some special black sauce, garlic and other spices mixed with salt and fresh squeezed orange juice.  It is currently marinating in our newly more economically running fridge (haha) and we plan to savor that flavor tomorrow night for dinner.

After taking the local bus back to the harbor we began replacing cabinet knobs and rearranging and organizing various things in the boat, mostly in the galley.  Karla, you would really like the new touches to the boat with the colorful Mexican painted ceramic knobs.  They look pretty good actually.  Marne is really jumping in and treating the boat like her home.  Once again...the captain is happy.  :).  

After the chores we pulled anchor in an attempt to get out of the busy Mazatlan harbor with giant cruise ships, small tour boats filled to the gunwhales with Mexican tourists and the tour guide announcing over the loud speaker to entertain them and the general smells of the big city.  We didn't go far, only about 4 miles up to Isla Venado, just a mile off of the coast of new Mazatlan.  It is a bit breezy here but we are anchored off an uninhabited island with a nice little sand beach that we will probably visit tomorrow.  That pretty much wraps up another day in the life of the crew aboard the SV Liahona. Ciao for now!

Bret and Marne
SV Liahona

Mom - did you get checks from Scott and the renters yet and are they deposited?

Tarren - no word from you yet dawg...would love to hear from you.

Tanner and Tallen - Love my boys!  Miss you guys and hope all is well.

Karla and Chubbs - Missing you guys down here!

Syd - Mucho grande hugs from your mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment